Why are Local Search Results Being Given More and More Importance?
Local listing is becoming more and more popular with users and with search engines (Google Places, Yahoo! Local, Bing Local, Yellow Pages, Yelp, etc.), when you do a search in search engines, you now tend to see a local map and also the top ten local search results listed before the normal search result.
As part of launching and promoting your website you should also ensure that the correct and up-to date information is posted to local listings, and as well asoptimisingyour site for generic search results you also need focus on optimising your local search results. It would be silly not to focus on your local listings at the same time, it’s like “you’re going out for hunting in the jungle, but you haven’t looked on your own street”.
So what are local search results and why is it given more and more importance?
Local search results are the results from business locally to you, its Search engines attempt to provide its users more useful results that are relevant to its users. When your searching the web, if you can find a product that’s local to where you are, its generally going to give you more assurance and confidence to buy from such suppliers, as they are local, or you may have even heard of them before, compare to a business that’s on the other side of the world and it’s the first time you are seeing them.
Eg: If the search engine has displayed two results to you, one of a company that you may have seen or heard but rings a bell in your head, and the other of a company that’s completely new, which one would you choose? Or should we say which one would you buy from, if both the products were completely identical. I know for sure I would buy of a company that I have heard of before or maybe even seem them around.
Some points to why Local Search Results are important:
- The users of print directories are moving online, to carry out their searches
- Numbers of local websites are growing rapidly, more and more business are coming online, proving an opportunity for small business to compete on an open playing field.
- Users and Mobile applications use local data to provide information
Okay so what are the benefits of Local Search?
- One of the major benefits is that your company has a chance to be listed above generic search results, when a user enters a search query related to your company. Giving you the opportunity to capture into that business.
- Your business can be found easily online
- Will enhance your SEO (Search Engine Optomisation) Campaign
- Your listing can show up above generic search results
- Get more quality local leads
- Build your local presence
- Free to open and register for an account
- Display maps for users to find your business
- Allow users to leave you a feedback on your local listing profile
- Display pictures of your company
- Display Videos of your company
How can I ensure my Local Listing is optimised & ranked well?
When you register for your local listing, you need to enter information about your company and services, you need to keep some factors in mind, so you fully benefit from your local search results.
- Have your full address along with post code on the listing
- Enter one of your keyword & Location in your title eg: Manchester AAA Bakery
- Choose the categories that are relevant to your business
- Use a local phone number, rather then a geographical or a mobile number
- Use your keyword couple of times on your listing, such as in the Title, Description, Categories…etc
- Enter as much information as possible, Images, Videos, Payment Options, Customer Notes, Opening Hours…etc
- You can also create coupons for offers, use these features to drive in more traffic, create offers and promotions for your local visitors
- Don’t submit your listing more then once, you can jeopardiseyour ranking.
How to add Business to Google Places