Should you follow your competitors on Twitter?
One of my closest friend asked me, should he follow his competitors on Twitter? To which I told him "yes" there is no harm in following your competitors on twitter, as Twitter is a social networking site, from which you can build links, and also it will helps you find conversations on the internet that you may want to join and take part in.
I can understand from a personal business point of view, it may seem a bit odd following your competitors, whether it may be through pride or keeping an arms distance from them. But I would say there are more advantages in following them, than not.
10 points to why should follow your competitors :
- Be part of a larger online conversation.
- Keep an eye on what they are doing, and see how you can do things differently.
- The information that they share, may also be beneficial to you and your business.
- Network with them, you never know they might outsource their work to you.
- Be part of conversations with their followers.
- Monitor their replies, see how they are interacting with their customers and followers.
- By following your competitors, you can analyze their followers, this will give you some sort of an insight on their client list.
- Stay up to date with their events, offers, blogs, and news.
- Learn from them, see what works, and what doesn't work within your niche.
- Twitter is for socialising and networking, there's no harm in networking with your competitors.
Twitter and social media sites are there for us to share useful information and "Network" with each other, whether its our competitors, customers, or a general web user, there is no real harm.
What is your thought on this, do you follow your competitors or you believe it's best not to. Share with me below.
Image from: SXC