How To Track Visitor Social Media Activities Using Google Analytics
Social networks are some of the most widely-visited sites nowadays. And as online businessmen, it is important that we are made aware of the social media sites that our customers are constantly visiting.
There have been a lot of innovations with customer tracking for the last couple of years. There are those available in the web that can actually be used to track and record certain behaviors of online marketers and their attitudes towards social networking sites, while there are scripts and codes to keep record as to whether the customers have logged on to Facebook and Twitter or not. one of the most efficient tools used to track these customer behaviors is Google analytics.
By using Google Analytics, you will be given the right information with regards your website visitors, the number of times they visited a site and the trends that they are interested in.
You can also use Google analytics in monitoring and tracking your customer’s social network behaviors, making it one of the most powerful and important business tools in the web today. Hence, if you can setup your Google analytics account right, you can effectively use it to keep records of your clients and form your business strategies from it.
Here are some of the things that you need to do in order to monitor your customers’ social media activities:
- Setup a tracker – if you are familiar with coding and you feel competent to do the coding yourself, you can just go ahead and pull the codes from the template page.
All you have to do is to create an empty application in Facebook, in order for your Facebook API code to work with your domain. However, if you already have an existing application that is registered with your domain, then it is will no longer be necessary for you to set a new one up. All that you will need is the AppID and you’re good to go. Just remember that the main purpose of creating an empty Facebook app is for the API to regulate the coded domains that are creating requests with the apps that are linked with your domain.
- Setup Google analytics – once you have already finished setting up the tracker and the code is installed, you can now start tracking your visitors right away. When using the new layout features in Google analytics you can view the information using “audience> demographics> Customer variables”.
- Setup custom segments – You can also set up your custom segments so you can have information on how your visitors are logged into other social network sites and how they interact with each other and with visitors.
When you’re done installing the tracker, you can now try checking the data in your Google analytics. This will help you select the segments that you like from the data that appears on your Google analytics.
After selecting the data that you are interested in, you then compare it with all the traffic emanating therein. If you want to check on how your demographics interact with each other, you can likewise check on you regular report screens.
- Setup GMAIL labs – this is one of the newest features of Google analytics that will enable you to track any activity done by your visitors using their Gmail accounts.
However, you will first need to enable Google analytics to setup your very own GMAIL labs – by going to your Gmail settings and inputting your Google Analytics Tracking code. Just bear in mind to create a different Google analytics profile for tracking your visitors’ email activities because this may inflate your site impressions and which may result to inaccurate findings.
- Setup a WordPress plugin– search for WordPress plugins that can be incorporated to your Google analytics. Having this plugin helps Google analytics detect certain login statuses of your visitors to social media sites, blogs and other sites – and it will likewise keep track and record this information to your Google analytics account.
Indeed, with Google Analytics, you’ll be able to acquire information as to how a certain demographic behaves and interacts with certain social network sites. And with this information, you are then able to redirect and change your advertising and marketing campaigns – and focus on the social network sites that are widely visited by your customers, for more profits in the end.
Image by Flickr