Magento Installation Guide
Magento installation is generally divided into two main ways, below is a quick Magento Installation Guide to assist you with your installation
1. cPanel: this is the software on the server that provides a graphical interface to this process among others
2. manual installation: it entails writing commands on the server.
Automated Installation of Magento through cPanel
Installation of Magento has become increasingly easy through a site software tool from cPanel, the tool is usually offered by most web hosting companies.
1. To commence the installation, proceed to the cPanel site software icon.
2. Open Magento which is situated in the Ecommerce section.
3. Key in your admin user name and password to authenticate.
4. You need to identify the folder meant for the installing Magento. Not taking this step translates to install the script directly on the root directory of your account.
5. To install, click on the Install button, this will complete the installation.
6. At the very end you will be given a screen confirming containing the URL of the installation front and backend, the Magento admin details and a link to the siteground tutorial and the Maganto encryption code.
Installing of Magento Manually
The procedures you need to follow for a smooth Mangento installation are as follow:
1. Get yourself the latest and most stable Mangento from the link below: http://www.magentocommerce.com/download.
2. Using your cPanel upload the downloaded package to your hosting account. You could either use a File Manager or an FTP client. There is a lot of information easily available about cPanel .
3. The number of options as to where you can place the magento download file are:
A. To begin with you can place it under the “public_html” folder; it’s usually the main one for web site content. This will make your website directly accessible through your domain: domainname.com.
B. Alternatively you may opt for the subfolder, for instance supposing your domain name was “domainname.com” (without the quotation), and you proceeded to install the script under public_html/myfolder folder, you URl will be: http://domainname.com/myfolder.
4. After uploading the package, extract it using the cPanel -> File Manager. Also use the tool, to change the file permissions of the Magento files to read 755.
5. Set up a MySQL database then allocate a user using cPanel -> MySQL Databases. Retain the details since they will be of much help during the installation process.
6. NB: MySQL database are created with the individual username as a prefix – username_databasename, it’s the name you are supposed to use during application.
7. In our instance installation of the Magento will be in the public_html/myfolder folder. On uploading and extraction of the package, you will have a MySQL database. Proceed to http://yourdomainname.com/myfolder:
8. Tick “I agree to the above terms and conditions” then the “continue button”.
9. Pick your Time Zone, Locale and Currency: Then press the “Continue button”.
10. Key in the details: Database_Name, User_Name and User_Password. You are free to ignore the other options. Tick “Skip Base URL validation before next step”. Then press the “Continue button”.
11. Here you have the liberty to put our personal information then the admin login you intend to use. You can are free to leave the Encryption Key field and it will be automatically generated. Then press the “Continue button.”
12. Put your encryption key; Magento uses it to encrypt your credit cards, passwords and any confidential information.